So darker in the mornings/early evenings and chillier temperatures – there is definitely a turn in the seasons. However there are still things you can be doing to keep motivation levels up and remember that regular exercise will strengthen your immune system during flu/cold season.
Here are my top tips to stay on track with training and keep your energy levels high in these winter months.
- Hydration – just because you might not get as sweaty as in the height of summer it doesn’t mean we can neglect our hydration. Make sure you keep hydrated as our bodies use water to help maintain our core body temperature as well as improving memory, mood, focus etc.
- Time of day – if you’re a morning person, set that alarm, have your kit laid out the night before and avoid that snooze button! If you’re not a morning person then make sure you have your gym kit to hand to squeeze that workout into your lunch break or the minute you finish work.
- Nutrition – yes we are less inclined to want summer salads but we can now embrace soup season. Who doesn’t love a hearty soup on these cold winter days. More on this coming to you in January so watch this space! Also regular exercise during these months where we tend to eat more comfort food will help stabilise our weight and encourage healthier food choices.
- Getting outside is still great for the soul – ask yourself truthfully is the weather really too bad to get outside? Fresh air, even if it is cold or wet, does wonders for our mental health and staying positive. And if the sun is shining it’s the perfect time to get a dose of Vitamin D which will help keep our immune system strong.
- Find a buddy – make yourself accountable by working out with a friend and suddenly it becomes much more fun than working out alone!
- Finally – working out from home has a much bigger draw in these cold, wet months so come and join us at Caroline’s Circuits for 3 live classes a week that you can do with minimal equipment from the comfort of your own home! No need for gym membership fees and no need to commute to the gym plus you can jump straight in your own shower afterwards!
Now a bit about Caroline’s Circuits – I have long since been an advocate of strength training, particularly for women, and with this in mind I built my platform – Caroline’s Circuits. My workouts are 3 times a week for just 30 minutes. They focus on strength-based circuits which work different muscle groups and challenge the body, keeping the heart rate moderate to high with passive or active rest – they give the perfect mix of strength and cardio for the best results.
The workouts are Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9am (they are all recorded and available to you on demand within an hour of the session if you can’t make the live) and are available worldwide. Classes have been specifically designed to suit all fitness levels and create fitness habits which last & which produce results.
If you have any questions please do get in touch.
For more workout ideas and to find out more about me check out my Instagram or the website,