Summer fitness sessions can be tricky with hot weather, holidays, change in routine and the ever-tempting glass of wine with friends so this week’s post is all about staying on track for summer fitness.
So how do we go about sticking to our plan and achieving our goals over the summer and beyond? Here are my top 5 tips to help you get to where you want to be with your summer fitness.
- GOALS: Set realistic goals – this is not the time for PBs – when you are time poor and maybe travelling or spending time with the family on hols set don’t set yourself unrealistic goals which will lead to you feeling demotivated. Instead set yourself goals that will keep you on track but not overstretch you when you have plenty of other things going on e.g. commit to two or three 30 minute sessions per week, anything else is a bonus.
- CONSISTENCY: Try to block out the same time on the same days each week – now I know it’s not always that simple, things change and it’s important to be flexible but if 90% of the time you can commit to the same time slots it will become habit and so much easier to follow. Make it your non-negotiable time for you, never underestimate the power of a workout and some time for yourself to make you feel GREAT!
- BUDDIES: Find a buddy – make yourself and a friend accountable. If you’re going on holiday with friends or you have a pal that lives nearby commit together – it is much easier to stay on track when you don’t want to let the other person down and you have someone to motivate you back, so work together.
- CLASSES: Join a programme or class – sometimes it is just not that easy to keep going to the gym and thinking up your own workout or keep slogging away on the same running route so change it up. Join an online fitness programme or a local outdoor circuits group to keep you motivated and push you – the beauty of the online version is you can take it anywhere with you.
- FUN: Make it fun, choose an activity you enjoy and you are much more likely to stick with it – if you hate running don’t force yourself to do it just because you think you should! Try something new, for example strength training, you might just love it and suddenly exercise doesn’t feel like another chore on the to do list.
I have included a summer holiday workout for you below that you can take anywhere and do anywhere with no equipment. If you need any help on how to do any of the exercises check out my Instagram post here where I demo them all for you.
If you have any questions please do get in touch.
For more workout inspo and to find out a bit more about me check out my Instagram.
Happy summer fitness!